Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What adoption feels like

Emily here. First off, the cat is not retarded. That being said, she may have the occasional issue. And by occasional I mean "pretty much all the time." But then again, put yourself in her paws for a minute and tell me what you'd do if this 6'1" behemoth thundered "Kitty Kitty KITTY!" at you randomly just to get a rise out of you. And he wonders why she might have lost bladder control a few times. Anyway...

Yes, we finally have a blog so all our friends and family (and the random lurking e-stranger) can read all the latest on our China adoption, and home improvements, and pet psychoses. Now that we have only 3 months (hopefully) before we will be heading out, reading our blog won't end up being some herculean literary undertaking on your part (or ours, for that matter).

For those of you who are wondering......YES, it is very disconcerting to realize that there's this wee little stranger on the other side of the world, and in a few short months he will be making his entrance into our lives, and that everything we are, everything we have, everything we can give, is now irrevocably intertwined with him.

I used to wonder what it would feel like to adopt -- could I ever adopt? -- and now that we find ourselves here, I don't know how to explain what it feels like. My best answer would be "a miracle," I guess. It's true: this little one didn't grow and develop inside my body, under my heart. But without a doubt he grew in it. How is that not incredibly miraculous? I think it's something God does in us, to engender this love for someone yet unknown.

After all, adoption is really God's idea -- He calls Himself "defender of the helpless" and "Father of the fatherless." God has always been the primary champion of the orphaned and neglected ones.

What does adoption feel like? Like getting married to someone....without the whole getting-to-know-you dating period.

What does adoption feel like? The biggest, best, most important thing I've ever done.

What does adoption feel like? Complete and utter panic some days....until I try very hard to give it all over to God and just be still and trust.

No comments: