Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Doing very well!

I know, I know...We're getting all these e-mails about how you're eagerly checking our blog for updates and there are none. I can almost picture you all shaking your fingers at me....

Well, I'll let you in on a not-so-well-kept secret: it's hard to do things with a 4-year-old around. Especially a precocious, spirited, happy little thing that just wants your attention (or more specifically Jason's attention) the whole entire time.

We're doing well, although the word "overwhelming" doesn't even begin to describe everything we're feeling and experiencing. But it is getting better each day. Dang Yong and I had a GREAT bonding time Tuesday afternoon when Baba was so-called napping (not really, but pretending). The first half hour he was angry and mean to me, but then he started warming up. I gave him plenty of space, but I immediately leaned in if he showed me something or gave me something etc. After that, he was better with me, although he VASTLY prefers Baba which is completely understandable (since he has never seen a man at the orphanage, and since it was women who cared for him and then left him with us. Also, he probably resents me taking the place of caregiver...)

A few words to describe Dang Yong:
SMART
Precocious
Energetic
Talkative
HAPPY
Adjusting well
Willing to please (for the most part)

He LOVES his new light-up shoes we bought at the market yesterday. He's very proud of them, loves to watch them light up when he walks.

Oh and we finally got him to change clothes, which is nice. Still no bath. One step at a time.

One of the first things DY really liked is our jade necklaces. He noticed them right away; noticed they matched and that each of us wore one. So when we went to Zhengzhou Zoo, we bought him an immitation necklace. It has the same red cord and it is the same color, but it's a different shape.

He loves it!!!! Wish you all could have seen the HUMONGOUS grin on his face as we put the new necklace on him. We pointed -- Baba's, Mamma's, Dang Yong's -- and he was thrilled! That night we all snuggled together on the edge of the bed and compared necklaces. All I can say is it is the best $4 we ever spent. He doesn't want anything to happen to it. Starts getting nervous when we change his shirt; wants to make sure the necklace doesn't get lost.

He mimics everything Baba does. After breakfast this morning we walked along the couryard and saw the coi pond. (He loves walking to see the "FISHIES! FISHIES! FISHIES!!!!") On the way back, Jason was holding DY's hand and put his other hand in his jean pocket. Immediately Dang Yong shoved his hand in his jean pocket. Again, I wish I'd had a camera. It brings tears!!!!

OK, I've written a lot so far, so I'm going to start another post entry on my visit to the orphanage yesterday....

P.S. DY is Dang Yong; eventually we'll try adding "Jesse Yong" to the mix.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad to hear that things are going better; thankfully, kids are pretty adaptable. If he mimics everything Jason does, just have Jason take a bath, maybe he'll get the idea (not to mention you kill two birds with one stone).

Anonymous said...

I agree. I am sure that Jason could definitely use a bath.

Karin said...

I'm cracking up at the 'Jason needs a bath' comments. :) But hey--it might work! You are doing such a great job of taking things slowly and letting him get acclimated. Praying he will start to warm up to you soon, Emily.